Another Fabulous Conference!
The 2016 Ontario Natural Building Coalition's
Natural Building Conference & AGM 2016
was held on April 2 and 3, 2016, at Camp Kawartha, near Lakefield.
The weekend included lots of exciting presentations:
- Chris Magwood and meeting the low-carbon challenge with natural building
- Jordan Hoogendam and Greg Leskien explored the relationship between enclosure design decisions and mechanical systems selection
- Three owner-builders told their building stories; what worked, what didn't
- A panel on the building code and natural building included Chris Magwood, Tim Krahn, Jordan Hoogendam and Jeff Chalmers
- Architectural Design with Ingrid Cryns
- Liz Johndrow told of her experiences helping Nicaraguan people preserve their traditional building styles
- Andrew Hellebust on innovative systems for rainwater, grey water and septic
- Networking, great food and drink, and musical jams!
2016 CONFERENCE SPONSORS:
More photos of the 2016 conference here.
Click here for photos of the 2015 conference.
Click here for an article and photos of the 2014 conference.
The Ontario Natural Building Coalition's Annual
Ontario Natural Building Tour
The Ontario Natural Building Coalition hosts an Annual Natural Building Tour on the first Sunday of October each year. For this tour, many natural homes and buildings across Ontario open their doors for participants to see examples of straw bale, rammed earth, cob, timber frame, off grid, passive solar, and many other natural building methods and alternative technologies.
If you have a natural home and would like to be a participating home on the tour in October of 2016, please contact our coordinator, Cheryl Keetch.
Natural building construction uses locally obtained and renewable materials, to produce homes and buildings that are visually unique and healthy to live in, while striving to keep energy consumption and its’ associated emissions as low as possible. As a way of promoting natural building, the Ontario Natural Building Coalition coordinates an annual Natural Homes Tour -- formerly called the Ontario Straw Bale Homes Tour. This year’s tour took place on Sunday October 6th ,2013 . Scroll down for a brief report on this years tour.....
Visit our Natural Building Gallery to see houses built out of straw, wood & earth!
Natural Home Tour
Over the years, many homes and buildings have participated in our Natural Building Annual tour.
Many of the homes that have been featured were models of innovation and energy efficiency and featured living roofs, natural clay wall finishes, rainwater catchment systems, grey water systems, composting toilets, while others incorporated solar and wind electrical systems, high efficiency wood burning appliances, solar domestic hot water systems, as well as a variety of other interesting green technologies.
The Ontario Natural Building Coalition would like to thank all the volunteer homeowners who have over the years graciously opened their doors and welcomed tour-goers. The annual tour would not be possible without them!
For those of you who missed this year’s tour, mark your calendars for next year, and keep an eye on our website for the date!
Click here for an article about one of the homes on our recent tour.